International Conference on Biomass Energy
Date: September 22-24, 2008
Place: Kiev, Ukraine
One of the organizers, REA, is INFORSE-Europe
From INFORSE-Europe participated:
- Andrei Konechenkov,
REA, member of the INFORSE-Europe Board
- Gunnar Boye Olesen
INFORSE-Europe Coordinator/OVE Denmark
A Proposal for EU-Ukraine Cooperation
INFORSE-Europe has proposed a number of issues that should be addressed
in the EU-Ukraine cooperation on energy with Bankwatch Network, WWF, and
Ukraine Wind Energy Association.
So far the EU-Ukraine energy cooperation has focused on nuclear energy
and fossil fuels. If the cooperation is going to contribute to improving
the environmental situation in Ukraine as well as its energy independence
and employment, the focus must change such that energy efficiency and renewable
energy receive top priority.
The EU-Ukraine energy cooperation has an unusually large budget in the
EU neighbourhood program; for 2007 it was 87 mill. Eur, so it is important
to focus on deriving the greatest possible benefit of it.
The major parts of our proposal are that:
- Ukraine adhere to the Ecodesign and Energy Performance of Buildings
- Ukraine back building regulations with funding (loans and grants)
for renovation of buildings and with initiatives for public buildings.
- Ukraine increase energy efficiency in heat supplies and in industries.
- Ukraine reform energy prices to avoid subsidies and promote energy
- Ukraine implement its newly adopted green tariff for renewable
energy in a way that truly enables the development of renewable energy.
- the Ukrainian public be given unbiased and effective information
on energy efficiency and renewable energy.
Read more on the EU
neighbourhood program at the INFORSE-Europe web site: http://www.inforse.org/europe/EU-neighbours.htm