NGOs made extensive preparations for the International Renewable
Energy Conference in Bonn, June 2004.
African NGOs sent letters to different forums in South Africa:
to South African Ministers, 5th May, 2004, (pdf file, 39 kB)
to Development Bank of Southern Africa & African Development
Bank April 15, 2004 (pdf file, 27 kB)
to National Electricity Regulator (NER) South Africa, April 16, 2004
(pdf file, 17 kB)
was an African Preparatory Meeting for Bonn Renewables 2004 in
Alpha Conference Centre, Johannesburg, South Africa, 24-26 February
of the Preparatory Meeting (word file 203 kB) including participants'
list with email addresses.
Pictures from the Preparatory
Meeting in February 2004.
Co-ordinating Committee was elected to co-ordinate the development
of an African position in Bonn in 2004. The Committee consisted of:
Council for Development, Environmental Studies & Conservation (Maudesco)
Climate and Development Initiatives (CDI)
Development Action Group (DAG)
to Claire Taylor Earthlife Africa - Cape Town
Energy and Environmental Concerns for Zambia (EECZ),
Africa Jhb - Sustainable Energy and Climate Change Partnership,
It was agreed that
the Committee is primarily concerned with the period leading up to
and including Bonn Renewables 2004, though it will also propose a way
forward for follow up and monitoring after the Conference. It will
be available as a mechanism for transparency and accountability. It
will be a first point of contact with civil society and NGOs from Africa
(particularly sub-Saharan Africa) engaging with Bonn Renewables 2004
(particularly regarding preparation and attendance). As such,
· It will disseminate relevant information by:
- A list serve for interested organisations.
- A website at INFORSE (http://www.inforse.org/africa)
- Using the CURES list serve to disseminate key outputs from African preparations
· It will be available to co-ordinate an African position and will encourage
all interested organisations in Africa to contribute to the process
· It will run a nomination process for participants to attend the Conference,
at least for the 8 people funded by Heinrich Böll Foundation
· It will keep a log of available resources (including funding information
and materials) and contact people, as well as activities
It will not be responsible
for fundraising or managing funds but it can endorse proposals from
other organisations; and it may assist in accessing resources and providing
contact between donors and active organisations
The Committee also
Request Contact Trust to set up a list serve for its members, so that they
can communicate with each other. Announce its formation to African civil society – see
www.inforse.org/africa for announcement.
Contact Points in Countries:
People were elected as national contact points, though it was noted that some
regions were not represented, so this list can be added to. See list in the
Actions Leading up to Bonn:
- Run national and local workshops on RE and international processes;
- Planning African based civil society activities to lobby governments at Bonn
Renewables 2004, e.g. photo exhibition featuring drought, famine, floods and
all Climate Change social effects.
- Form a media group representing African Civil Society to facilitate drafting
press releases before and during Bonn
- Arranging a meeting in Bonn at the end of May – probably 29th (from
10 a.m. so people can arrive that morning).
- Write a letter to SADC to update on the RE status quo at the level of policy.
- Representatives to write letters to their ministers and national governments
- Training before Bonn: People from the meeting take the outcomes of the meeting
to their projects and start sharing with their colleagues. Should report back
on how their organisations are taking forward the outcomes of the meeting.
- To conduct seminar, workshops and breakfast meetings
- Send out press releases
- Best Practises – Need to publish what is happening on local level.
Extend visits ands networking.
- Include RE in school education.
NGO Nomination Process for Bonn Renewables Participants:
Meeting for Bonn Renewables 2004
Conference Centre, Johannesburg, South Africa in February and March,
of the First Preparatory Meeting (203 kB word file)
of the Second Preparatory Meeting (43 kB word file)
Pictures from the Preparatory Meeting:
Group during the Preparatory Conference
Moalusi, Env. Justice Network Forum, South Africa, and Johannes
Chigwada, Zero Regional Environmental Organisation, Zimbabwe.
Mahote, Development Action Group, South Africa, presenting working
Byakola, from Climate and Development Initiatives, Uganda (INFORSE-Africa
Khatlile DPE/Pelum, Lesotho, explaining worksheet of
a working group
Mkhwanazi, Env. Justice Network Forum, South Africa
Nkosi from Ground Work / Rev. of Goodwill organisation, South Africa.
Bitterbos Barendse Griqua House, and Desmond, South Africa