in the beautiful Trieves Valley in Alps Mountains, southeastern France,
Living Earth was created in the early 90's. It is a visitor center
which aims at providing citizens with advices to improve their ecological
Earth especially focuses on three areas:
- Ecological gardening
- Ecological housing
- Water saving and waste-water treatment
can visitors see there ?
- Gardens, where
visitors can learn how to grow vegetables and fruits in a sustainable
way. Issues like soil, water, biodiversity are addressed.
These include a testing area for new ecological gardening products
- A permanent exhibition presenting ecological building materials.
Buildings of the center are made of these materials.
The "nega-watt house" permanent exhibition. A "nega-watt"
is a watt which doesn't need to be produced because it has been saved.
This exhibition explains how a house should be built to save as much
energy as possible.
- Water circuit to understand water life-cycle and to learn how to
- Waste-water treatment through reed beds.
services are provided ?
- Bookshop with many French publications on ecological gardening,
housing and cooking. These books are also available on Living Earth's
- Magazine "The 4 seasons of the ecological garden". (in French)
Published 4 times a year.
- Ecological Grocery shop.
- Bar and restaurant selling ecological products.
- Information center
where visitors can find advices and information sheets on ecological
- Workshops and thematic
guided tours (some of them are especially designed for children).
- Adapted activities for school classes and groups.
in Sustainable Energy News:
(The issues can be downloaded from the web site of INFORSE.)
Theme including Living Earth
No. 24, p. 13-14, February 1999 (pdf
type of project
Visitor centre focusing on ecological gardening and housing
|New local jobs
of similar projects
||None in France.
Little Earth in Holland, and CAT and Eden in the UK.
Domaine de Raud
38710 Mens, France
Ph: +33 4 76 34 80 80;
Fax: +33 4 76 34 84 02