This small hydro-power plant in Jasenie was put into
operation in 1924. It is owned by the nearby ironworks factory, which keeps
the plant running in excellent condition.
Pipelines collect water from the three nearby valleys into a
reservoir with a capacity of 9,000 m2 of water. The length of each
of the pipes is more than 7 km. From the reservoir, an 850m-long pipeline
feeds the water to the plant. The inflow of water, with a drop of 196 metres
and a flow rate of 1.5 m3/sec., yields a power output of 2.3 MW,
generated by two PELTON-type turbines (20 atm.). The smaller, single-blade
turbine captures 0.5 m3/sec., while the bigger, two-blade turbine
handles the rest of the water flow.
Annual production of electricity is approximately 12 mill.
kWh for a relatively good year, such as 1996. Electricity produced in Jasenie
is sold by the owner to the utility grid.
The plant has a good, stable production record, and the
operators proudly plan to continue production well into the next century. This
power plant has been a part of the countryside for many generations, and there
are no complaints from the local people about the environment or fish